Frequently asked questions

Students back to top

Who can use this system?

Only current and prospective student at UNSW Sydney and UNSW Global.

Need help logging in? Email with your Student ID

Anyone in the community can register as a provider.

I am having trouble registering

If you can not register using your student email please contact with your full name and Student ID. 

Where should I live in Sydney?

Location is one of the most important factors in deciding where to live. UNSW is located in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, south east of the central business district.

The univeristy is accessible by public transport (buses) and takes approximately 10 - 15 minutes from Central Station. Visit ‘suburbs overview’ for information on the local surrounding areas and private rental price guides.

Once you arrive in Sydney you can spend some time getting to know the different areas before deciding where to live. It’s a great way to test public transport routes and explore local offerings.

The demand for housing around the University can be high, especially in the weeks leading up to the start of term. We recommend arriving 3 – 4 weeks before orientation week to ensure that you have enough time to find housing before semester starts.

Should I pre-arrange my accommodation?

Only short-term accommodation and on campus accommodation should be pre-arranged.

We highly recommend long term private rental accommodation only be arranged once you arrive in Sydney. We recommend this so you can inspect properties and make an informed decision on location, price, safety and proximity to public transport. It also reduces the risk of exposure to rental scams which often pretend to have properties available for rent and ask for money upfront.

Never send or pay money without inspecting the property in person and checking that the information provided is correct. Request for up front payments may be scams 

Suburbs overview

Once you’ve made some decisions on what is important to you, it’s time to start considering suitable suburbs. Below is an interactive map that shows different suburbs and the approximate prices of private rentals.

View UNSW Rental Accommodation Information map in a larger map

How do I list a room/property?

You will need to register as a 'Provider'. For your listing to be approved you will need to provide detailed information and a clear and recent photos of the room and the inside of the property.

Should I share accommodation with others?

Sharing a house or unit with others is generally one of the cheapest options available. A shared house/unit means all household members have their own bedroom but share the rest of the premises such as the kitchen, living room, bathroom and laundry. In a share house/unit you will usually divide the rent and utilities amongst all household members.

With shared accommodation arrangements you may first find a group of people you want to live with and inspect properties together or you may find a room to rent in an already established share house/unit.

Most share house/units will be covered by formal tenancy agreements which protect your rights as a tenant and also protect the rights of the landlord. These are also known as ‘lease agreements’. Your rights and obligations as a tenant are set out in the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. Ask about the tenancy arrangements when you inspect shared accommodation.

To protect yourself and your living situation, always ask to be listed on the tenancy agreement where possible.

For more information about tenancy arrangements please see types of arrangements and starting a tenancy in the below drop down menus.

Resource: Share Housing Survival Guide (NSW)

Should I look at furnished or unfurnished properties?

Most private rental properties in Australia are rented unfurnished. Fridges, washing machines and dryers are rarely included in rental properties. Sometimes you may find a unit which includes a washing machine and/or dryer, and some older unit blocks may have shared coin operated laundry facilities.

When inspecting a property always look to see what is included and if you are not sure, ask! Buying or renting a fridge and washing machine will add to your set-up costs of a new private rental.

Some rental properties closer to UNSW may be furnished or partly furnished by the landlord. The term 'furnished' can mean anything from just furnishing the living room or a bedroom to the whole house/unit. Usually the rental advertisement will contain information on what is included but always confirm with the landlord/agent. Most furnished properties are likely include to a bed (not bedding linen) a fridge (but not kitchen equipment) a lounge/sofa (but not a TV) and probably no washing machine.

If you move into a furnished property make sure you thoroughly inspect the furnishings and record any damage on the condition report.

Resource: Blank Condition Report 


Sydney is a safe city by world standards, but you should never be complacent with your own personal safety.

Make sure you consider how safe the property is, especially if you have late classes, work late or if you are on campus after hours.

Two major points to consider is how close the property is to public transport and to make sure all external doors and windows have adequate locks.

Four weeks before you commence classes you will be invited to complete the UNSW Online Safety and Wellbeing Tutorial which provides important safety information while you are living in Sydney.

Property scams

It is important to protect yourself against potential property scams when looking for accommodation. This is why we recommend you arrange your private long term accommodation when you arrive in Sydney so you can view properties and make informed decisions.

There are many types of scams and the Australian Government has set up a website SCAMwatch to help you protect yourself.

Resource: SCAMwatch

Types of arrangements

 Formal tenancy agreements

Credit Tenants NSW source

As a tenant you have rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Residential Tenancy Regulations 2019. The Act and the regulations set out a standard residential tenancy agreement that gives rights and obligations to landlords and tenants.

What this means is when you rent a property in NSW you have a standard formal agreement with the landlord. This agreement protects your rights as a tenant to enjoy your home peacefully and protects the landlord from tenants who may not pay rent or take due care of the property.

The Act covers private tenants who have a written or oral residential tenancy agreement.

People in share housing are generally covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. For further information on share housing look at ‘Share Housing’ under ‘Types of Arrangements.’

Your rights and obligations under the Act can be viewed here.

 Share Housing

Credit TenantsNSW source

People in share housing usually have their own bedroom and share the rest of the premises. Your rights and obligations will depend on your legal status. You may be:

  • a co-tenant
  • a head-tenant
  • a sub-tenant, or
  • a boarder or lodger.

Co-tenants, head-tenants and sub-tenants have rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. Boarders and lodgers do not – see Boarders and Lodgers for more details.


Your name and the names of other tenant/s are on the tenancy agreement for the premises. You share rights and obligations with the other co-tenant/s.


You are a tenant (your name is on the tenancy agreement for the premises), you live at the premises and sub-let part of the premises to another person under a separate written agreement. That person is a sub-tenant.

You are a landlord in relation to the sub-tenant. For information about your rights and obligations as a head-tenant,


You are sharing with a tenant (their name is on the tenancy agreement for the premises) who has sub-let part of the premises to you under a separate written agreement. That person is a head-tenant. You have the rights and obligations of a tenant in relation to the head-tenant – they are your landlord.

Boarder or lodger

You are a boarder or lodger if you rent part of the premises from:

  • a tenant who also lives there, or
  • the owner of the premises, who also lives there
  • and they keep control over the whole premises (including the part you rent).

They are your landlord.

People in share housing are generally covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Regulation.

Boarders and Lodgers

Credit TenantsNSW source

Boarders and lodgers are renters who pay for the right to occupy residential premises but who not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

The Act excludes specific types of premises and types of agreement from its coverage. If you rent in one of the following types of premises, or under one of the following types of agreements, you will be excluded from the Act.

Types of premises:

  • serviced apartments, hotels, motels and backpackers hostels
  • club premises used to provide temporary accommodation
  • premises used mostly for the purpose of trade, profession, business or agriculture
  • residential colleges in educational institutions with some exceptions. (UNSW Residential Communities are covered under ‘licensing agreements’).

 Types of agreement:

  • agreements under which a person boards or lodges with another person (e.g. in a private home)
  • certain agreements to occupy refuge or crisis accommodation funded under certain government programs
  • share-housing arrangements where a person sub-lets part of a premises to another without a written tenancy agreement.

Unlike tenants, boarders and lodgers do not have the right to exclusive occupation of the premises – the landlord retains ‘mastery’ over the premises.

Boarders usually get meals as part of their agreement whereas lodgers do not.

 Renting in a boarding house

If you rent a room in a boarding house, whether you are a boarder/lodger or a tenant will depend on how much control the landlord (or live-in manager or caretaker) has over the premises.

You are likely to be a tenant rather than a boarder/lodger, if you:

  • have exclusive access to your own room (no-one else uses your room and you can lock it)
  • do not get meals, linen, or cleaning as part of your agreement
  • have your own cooking facilities
  • do not have house rules enforced.

More information about boarders and lodgers can be found at TenantsNSW


Credit Redfern Legal Centre, source

Some vacancies may be advertised as ‘homestay’, which may include meals and pick-up services. For some international students, this may be an opportunity to stay with a family, improve their English and learn more about Australia. However, homestays can be costly and living with a host family could mean that you don’t have as much freedom – for example, the host family may have set mealtimes or curfews.

Informal arrangements

This is type of arrangement is not recommended as you are not protected by the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Residential Tenancy Regulations 2019.

It is important to formalise any living arrangement in writing (preferably in the standard residential tenancy agreement if you believe you are a tenant).

If you do not believe you are considered a tenant, boarder or lodger, contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service to discuss your situation.

Starting a tenancy

 Moving into a private rental

Landlords or agents must give all tenants a copy of this Tenant Information Statement before signing a residential tenancy agreement.

A comprehensive guide to starting your tenancy is available NSW Fair Trading website

During a tenancy

Once you have signed the lease, completed the condition report and settled into your new home, circumstances can change and you will need to know what to do and how to handle each situation.

The NSW Fair Trading website outlines common issues that may arise during your tenancy and how to deal with these. 

Ending a tenancy

Depending on your accommodation arrangement will determine how your tenancy may end. Generally, to end your tenancy you will need to give written notice to the landlord or agent.

NSW Fair Trading website provides detailed information about ending your lease.

Where can I find the Terms and Conditions?

Students and providers can find the terms and conditions on our page here:



Providers back to top

My property/room has been leased. How do I archive it?

If you go into your listing you can chose ‘close’ and this will archive the advertisement and allow you to come back and relist it when you are ready

How long will my listing last for?

Listings last for 21 days and if you wish your listing to remain for longer, please re-list your vacancy by using the “Edit a property” function. 

Can I edit my listing?


Log in to view the property you want to edit and chose to either Make Changes or Close.

Any changes to the listing will be sent through to the admin team for approval.

Can I list multiple rooms?


If you have a property with multiple rooms available the system is able to list all availabilities in the one listing. Under the 'Bedrooms' section, list all the available bedrooms and their sizes.

Remember to complete how many occupants are currently in the property to give students a good idea of who is in there already.

NOTE: UNSW Study Stays will only accept listings for Boarding Houses listed on the NSW Department of Fair Trading Accommodation Register. More information can be found here.

Where can I find the Terms and Conditions?

Students and providers can find the terms and conditions on our page here:



How do I list a room/property?

You will need to register as a 'Provider' For your listing to be approved you will need to provide detailed information, at least three recent photos and a clear photograph of the room and the inside of the property.

What agreement should I use?

All properties that are approved to use this service are required to use one of the following in English;